My septic system failed, and I need to install a replacement system. Do I need a permit from the Health Department?

Yes.  You are obligated under State of Idaho rules and regulations to obtain a permit from the local Health District when putting in any kind of subsurface sewage disposal system in the State of Idaho.  The application form and associated information is on our website along with our Environmental Health services fee schedule.

Public Health - Idaho North Central District
215 10th Street
Lewiston, ID 83501

Phone: (208) 799-3100
Fax: (208) 799-0349

Idaho Careline: 211

EPI ISSUES: 1-800-632-8000
For medical emergencies dial: 911.


All information is general in nature and is not intended to be used as a substitute for appropriate professional advice.

For more information please call (208) 799-3100 or Idaho Careline: 211.

Idaho Public Health

Public Health Shield Logo