If I have mold in my apartment or house, should I have it tested?

You could have it tested, but if you have mold in your apartment or home, you would better off spending your time and money finding the source of the mold and what is causing it.  Mold is caused by having too much moisture, whether it is condensation, a leaky roof or wall or leaking pipes.  Finding and eliminating the source of moisture and thoroughly cleaning, drying, and disinfecting the moldy area will be key to controlling this problem.  Knowing the type of mold won’t change that and it can be very expensive to test. 

Public Health - Idaho North Central District
215 10th Street
Lewiston, ID 83501

Phone: (208) 799-3100
Fax: (208) 799-0349

Idaho Careline: 211

EPI ISSUES: 1-800-632-8000
For medical emergencies dial: 911.


All information is general in nature and is not intended to be used as a substitute for appropriate professional advice.

For more information please call (208) 799-3100 or Idaho Careline: 211.

Idaho Public Health

Public Health Shield Logo