Domestic drinking water systems are classified as either private or public systems. Only public systems are regulated by the State of Idaho. Public Health Idaho North Central District provides the following services: Private Water System
- Provide information and assistance to owners of private water systems in order to ensure safe and sanitary water quality.
- Provide water sample containers from private laboratories available to the public for testing their water system
- Conduct sanitary surveys as requested by mortgage companies. A fee is charged for this service.
Public Water System
- Oversee and implement the Public Water System (PWS) contract with Idaho Department of Environmental Quality.
- Provide regulatory oversight and technical assistance to small public water systems. This includes, but is not limited to, public schools, mobile home parks, small subdivisions, motels, restaurants, and businesses.
- Evaluate chemical and bacteria monitoring of public water systems for compliance with state regulations.
- Perform sanitary surveys of all public water systems, under DEQ contract, at least once every five years.
- Investigate and take appropriate action on complaints from the public.
Water System Regulations and Standards
- Drinking Water Guidance for Public Water Systems (Idaho DEQ)
Page Last Updated: 2011-12-07